✓ Greenlifestylestore.nl receives from 153 customers an 8.7 /10 ✓ Fresh from the grower ✓ Plant-friendly packaging ✓ Stylish pot plant combinations STYLIST'S PICKS Login About us Contact
  • Dutch
  • English
0
No products in the cart.
0
No products in the cart.

Child & animal friendly indoor plants

If you have children, cats and/or dogs make sure to purchase non-toxic houseplants. Some indoor plants can be quite dangerous if ingested or touched. All plants in this overview are completely safe for your children and pets. Read more

Filter products Showing 1 - 20 of 24 results
Product categories
Price
Where will you place your plant?
Do you have green fingers?
Height of Plant
Pot size
Colour pot

Showing 1–20 of 24 results

BUY NON-TOXIC INDOOR PLANTS ONLINE

Naturally every interior needs houseplants. They immediately give your house a homely atmosphere, character and they purify the air. We love it! Children, cats and dogs are also fans. But they express their love for houseplants in a different way: by eating them. For many indoor plants this doesn’t pose a problem, but some can be quite toxic. Therefore it’s important to make sure all plants in your house are safe for your child and/or pet, or to place toxic plants out of reach.

PLANTS IN THE KIDS’ OR BABY ROOM

Every room needs houseplants. Your living room as much as the nursery! Non-toxic house plants give these rooms a peaceful, homely look, without you having to worry about your little one eating them. Houseplants in the nursery or kids’ room also improve their health and sleep. This is due to the air-purifying effect of house plants. And let’s not forget: it looks great! For example, consider a large, green houseplant next to the cradle. This way you immediately give the baby room a natural vibe. Hanging plants are always a good idea as well. For example, place these plants by the window in the child's or baby's room.

Are you looking for a plant that is not in the overview above? You won’t have to worry about toxicity if your child or pet cannot reach the plant. This should be especially easy in a nursery, since babies naturally cannot walk or climb. This allows you to place all types indoor plants in the baby room, as long as you ensure that your little one cannot reach it. Also take into account any loose leaves. These should not be able to fall into the cradle.

You can find more information in our blog about houseplants in the nursery. You’ll find an overview of our top picks, and our stylist gives Britt decoration tips for your baby’s room.

WHAT ARE TOXIC INDOOR PLANTS?

Toxic indoor plants are unfortunately indistinguishable from their safe counterparts. There are no specific characteristics that you can recognise. That is why it is always smart to check which plants are not toxic to your children, cats or dogs. But what exactly are toxic indoor plants?

Toxic indoor plants can cause different reactions depending on the plant species. For example, there are slightly toxic house plants that can lead to skin or throat irritation. But there are also seriously poisonous plants that can make your child or pet fall ill.

INDOOR PLANTS THAT ARE TOXIC TO CHILDREN

In the list below you will find common houseplants that are very toxic. Please note: this is a selection of the most common toxic plants. Before purchasing, always check whether or not the plant is safe!

  • Anemone
  • Azalea
  • Clivia
  • Dieffenbachia (do not let your child vomit!)
  • Gloriosa
  • Autumn style
  • Christmas star
  • Lilies
  • Lily of the valley
  • Monstera deliciosa (hole plant)
  • Daffodil
  • Oleander
  • Philodendron (do not let your child vomit!)
  • Vinca

The most common symptoms of plant poisoning are: vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, skin irritation, pale tongue or pale gums, swollen mouth and throat.

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CHILD HAS EATEN A TOXIC PLANT?

If your child has eaten from a poisonous plant, try to find out which plant it was. Call the doctor immediately, or call 112 in the case the plant is deadly. Always take a piece of the plant with you. This will allow doctors to determine which plant it is exactly.

If your child ate a poisonous, deadly plant, and less than an hour has passed? Then you can give your child water and let him/her vomit. If your child has eaten from a skin-irritating plant, you better discourage vomiting. This can actually hurt a lot. Let your child rinse his/her mouth and drink some milk afterwards.

INDOOR PLANTS THAT ARE TOXIC TO CATS AND DOGS

The Animal Ambulance has drawn up a useful overview of poisonous house plants. Although it is a long list, it may not be complete. That's why it's always important to always do research into a new plant.

The most common symptoms of poisoning are: severe vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, muscle cramps or respiratory disorders.

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CAT/DOG HAS EATEN A TOXIC PLANT?

First remove the plant. Clean the mouth of your dog or cat thoroughly with water, but make sure the pet does not drink any water. You do this by keeping its head down.

Try to find out what plant your pet has eaten, and how much it was. Take the remains of the plant or your pets’ vomit to the vet. This allows the vet to check how your dog or cat should be treated.

Wij gebruiken cookies om u de beste online ervaring te bieden. Door akkoord te gaan, accepteert u het gebruik van cookies in overeenstemming met ons cookiebeleid.

Privacy Settings saved!
Privacy-instellingen

When you visit any web site, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Control your personal Cookie Services here.


Deze cookies zijn nodig om de website goed te laten functioneren.

Decline all Services
Accept all Services

Meld je aan voor onze nieuwsbrief


Je inschrijving is succesvol ontvangen

Pin It on Pinterest